I stopped by Ferndale this past weekend to see what’s new and search for Lightlife Veggie Burgers (Meijer doesn’t sell them anymore and I’m really sad). So while I was grocery hunting, I happened to find Earthly Choice brand black rice and I was like – WUT?
So I bought a bag. Because if there’s one thing that gets me excited as much or more than things inside of things, it’s “conventional” foods that are different colors. (Yellow and orange tomatoes, purple carrots, yellow and orange watermelon, etc).
I followed the recipe on the back of the package (minus the ginger). I’m also including it in case anyone else wants to try this out. I thought it turned out deliciously.
– 3/4 cup black rice
– 1.5 cups water
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 tbps vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
– 3/4 cup scallions (green onion) = 1 bunch
– 1 tbps fresh ginger, peeled and minced
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1. Bring rice, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 1/5-2 quart sauce pan, then reduce heat to low and cook rice, covered, until it is tender and most of the water is absorbed (about 35 mins).
2. Let rice stand, covered, off the heat for 10 mins.
3. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a 12″ nonstick skillet over moderately high heat and saute scallions, ginger, and sweet potato, stirring until well coated (about 2 mins).
4. Reduce heat to moderate and add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste, then cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until potato is just tender (about 12 mins).
5. Add to rice when done, and enjoy.
You may NOT use this work outside of the viewing pleasure of this blog. Thank you!