1. I love baking because it’s an art that gives me very quick and satisfying results.
2. I LOVE STRAWBERRY SEASON.
My dad bought a TON of strawberries for $2 (!!!) and I decided earlier this afternoon that I needed to make something quick, delicious, and not too fattening, so of course I hit up my favorite cooking website, Foodgawker, for recipes.
I found this one and went with it.
A few changes I made:
– Used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar because we don’t have regular sugar at the moment – it gave the cake its browny color.
– Used TruWhip skinny whipped cream instead of the homemade version given in the recipe – saving on a lot of calories, sugar, and carbs here.
– I “greased” my pan with spray oil.
– I added cardamom powder to the batter.
1 & 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (coconut sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom powder.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted (COOLED!) butter, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Mix in wet ingredients with dry – batter will be thick. Fold in strawberries.
5. Bake for 25 minutes in a 9 inch pan (until toothpick comes out clean from center).
6. Cool cake before applying whipped cream and sliced strawberries on top. Keep refrigerated.