Time to travel to Romania for one of the best savory recipes you’ll ever make. Saratele directly translates to “crackers” in English, but they’re more than that. They’re super cheesy and one of the best holiday snacks.
Grab a tub of feta cheese (and a scale) and buckle in, we’re sliding down butter lane and you’ll never want to come back.
P.S. If you want to see a visual guide, check out this video.
300g Cascaval cheese (feta works too) crumbled
250g shredded butter
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
80g kefir yogurt or plain yogurt
1-2 beaten eggs to eggwash wiith
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cheese, butter, eggs, paprika, and salt, and mix until relatively well incorporated.
- Add the kefir yogurt and mix until the dough is smooth and supple.
- Part your dough in half and roll out into a flat sheet, about 1/4-1/2 inch thickness.
- You can cut your dough in whatever shapes you’d like – I used a snowflake cookie cutter – or you can simply use your knife and cut into small strips.
- Beat an egg (or two if needed) and coat your forms with the eggwash. Sprinkle with poppyseeds. Bake for 15 minutes at 355 F. Enjoy!