In my quest to fulfill my sweet tooth, I came across one of my favorite Romanian dessert recipes and I had to make it, so now I have to share it with all of you as well, OBVIOUSLY.
This is a relatively easy recipe to follow and doesn’t even require letting dough rest to rise, which is wonderful and speeds up the process.
If you’d like to watch a visual breakdown the recipe, check it out here, but know that it is in Romanian. Otherwise, check out the recipe below.
For the dough
500 g flour
pinch of salt
300 ml COLD water
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp vinegar
For the filling
1.5 kg shredded pumpkin OR 2 16oz cans of pumpkin
100-150 g sugar (or more depending on your taste)
20 g butter – IF YOU’RE DOING FRESH PUMPKIN ONLY
1-2 tbsp cinnamon
ground cloves and cardamom to taste
1 tsp rum extract
1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 355F.
- For the filling – Shred your pumpkin if you’re using fresh pumpkin, otherwise, pop open those cans and get all your pumpkin puree out into a bowl and mix it with the sugar, rum extract, and spices.
- IF YOU’RE USING FRESH PUMPKIN – In a large pan, cook the shredded pumpkin with the sugar and butter until it reduces down and starts to caramelize a bit. Add your spices and rum extract AFTER cooking.
- For the dough – in a large bowl, add flour and salt and mix (I used my stand mixer here) add the oil, then vinegar, then the cold water.
- Continue mixing until well-combined and the dough is nice and elastic. Cut the dough into 4 pieces.
- Flatten each dough bundle one at a time, spreading 1/4th of your pumpkin mixture on each piece before rolling it up to the length of your baking dish. Place each roll side by side.
- Pre-cut your rolls into desired sizes and egg wash the top of your bundles before popping your rolls in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Once cooled, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @vivianapodinaphotography