Alright, first thing’s first.
For all you photophiles (what’s the actual word though?) who wanna see more of my photography, you’re in luck! I decided to make an Instagram account for just my photography, @vivianapodinaphotography, after finding out you can now link your accounts and switch between them easily. I’m pretty excited and geeked and thrilled by the small gathering of followers I’ve already accumulated (18 with just my first photo, how cool!) and I’m looking forward to discovering more artists and photographers and being discovered by others as well.
That said, it’s almost Valentine’s Day and that means I’ll be doing absolutely nothing differently from any other day of the year because I’m #single4lyfe. But I thought this would be a great occasion to gift myself something I’ve wanted for a while – new workout shoes! I found this gorgeous orchid purple pair at DSW on clearance and they’re SO COMFORTABLE. I’m in love.
On my way home I also stopped by Natalie’s Bakery to pick up bread and indulged myself in some V-Day treats. Picked up some cannolis, a little strawberry heart tart, and a slice of honey sea salt pie (not pictured). I haven’t tried the pistachio cannoli or the tart yet, but the orange zest cannoli and honey pie are superb.
Hope you guys have a good weekend! Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you regardless of relationship status. <3
1. I love baking because it’s an art that gives me very quick and satisfying results.
2. I LOVE STRAWBERRY SEASON.
My dad bought a TON of strawberries for $2 (!!!) and I decided earlier this afternoon that I needed to make something quick, delicious, and not too fattening, so of course I hit up my favorite cooking website, Foodgawker, for recipes.
I found this one and went with it.
A few changes I made:
– Used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar because we don’t have regular sugar at the moment – it gave the cake its browny color.
– Used TruWhip skinny whipped cream instead of the homemade version given in the recipe – saving on a lot of calories, sugar, and carbs here.
– I “greased” my pan with spray oil.
– I added cardamom powder to the batter.
1 & 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (coconut sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom powder.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted (COOLED!) butter, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Mix in wet ingredients with dry – batter will be thick. Fold in strawberries.
5. Bake for 25 minutes in a 9 inch pan (until toothpick comes out clean from center).
6. Cool cake before applying whipped cream and sliced strawberries on top. Keep refrigerated.
F-stop: f/1.8 Exp: 1/320 sec ISO: 320
F-stop: f/1.8 Exp: 1/200 sec ISO: 320
I know I post pictures of pancakes all the time (on Instagram too) but they’re such delicious and easy subjects.
Today I made cardamom pancakes because I finally found powdered cardamom last weekend, and topped them with heart shaped strawberry slices and honey.
Happy Valentine’s Day from my kitchen to yours!
Some more food on the way for you.
Mornings with a lot of time on my hands = fancy breakfasts.
Today I tried out Pamela’s gluten free pancake mix I got from Meijer last week. It turned out well, although it breaks easily in the cooking process if you don’t handle it correctly.
They also turn out more like crepes than pancakes if you follow the instructions on the back like I did. I only used 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, however, to save points on Weight Watchers. I drizzled orange honey on the inside of each and rolled them up with sliced strawberries.
All in all, they were pretty delicious, but fussy.